'Atta Kathi' music composer ready with first 'unofficial album'
By Venkadesan S
26th September 2012 02:03 PM
Santhosh Narayanan, who created magic with his fresh music in 'Atta Kathi', is now three films old with 'Pizza' and 'Uyir Mozhi' being his other completed projects. But, 'Uyir Mozhi' is unofficially his first music album, says the composer.
“Like every aspiring musician, I too wanted to work on a music album and compose a few songs. But when the makers of 'Uyir Mozhi' listened to my compositions, they wanted to use it for their film,” says Santhosh. His first ever composition was for a Telugu short film 'Adwaitam', which won him a National Award in 2011.
The opportunity to work in a feature film came by unexpectedly for Santhosh. “When C V Kumar (producer of 'Atta Kathi') saw me working in a studio, he told me he wanted me to compose music for his first film. After a few moths, he called asking me to work on the music of a film he was producing,” he says and adds that he was constantly thinking about composing something different from the rest. “In 'Atta Kathi', I was particular about not using the Indian elements of music. Fortunately, I was allowed to experiment and had no restrictions from the makers of the film,” he says. Pizza is also along the same lines, as it is also being produced by C V Kumar.
About making singer Gaana Bala, who sang two numbers in 'Atta Kathi', croon a Blues song in 'Pizza', Santhosh says it was a casual decision and wasn’t premeditated.
“I wanted to attempt something new with his voice, but he took the song to a whole new dimension. From now on, I will try not to give him the typical gaana numbers. Instead, he should be attempting some Michael Jackson-ish music. He is an amazingly talented person,” he says.
Being a sound engineer, Santhosh is not sure how open other producers will be to his experiments and says he is ready to deliver his kind of music as long as they like it. “Usually filmmakers take a safe route when it comes to making mainstream music, but I’m always ready to compose a new tune if the producer is not satisfied,” he guarantees.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Shun hatred to live with peace