Madonna concert gets boos from Paris crowd
By The Associated Press - PARIS
28th July 2012 02:15 PM
A small Madonna concert that the pop star said was intended to celebrate France's tolerance instead tested it, drawing boos and cries of "refund!" when she left the stage after just 45 minutes.
The show on Thursday, billed as an intimate event at Paris' noted Olympia club, was streamed live on YouTube. By Friday morning, the channel that showed the event disabled comments and had more than 12,000 dislikes compared with 10,000 likes.
An invitation to tweet about the show appeared to back fire — audience members used the suggested hashtag (hash)MDNAParis to complain. The rebroadcast of the show cuts off when Madonna leaves the stage, apparently before the crowd realized the concert was over.
Madonna's press agent, Liz Rosenberg, said in a statement that the star's occasional club shows in the past "were never more than 45 minutes."
The show was "planned as a heartfelt thank you to France which she expressed at the start of the show," the statement said, and the performance at Olympia, a venue for top French artists, "was her way to honor her love for French artists, French cinema and a tribute to France's long history of welcoming and inspiring artists, authors, painters, poets and minorities from other countries over the years."
The show cost Madonna nearly $1 million to produce, the statement said, and keeping the prices at $100 involved a "tremendous effort."
The show was announced after France's far-right National Front threatened to sue Madonna after the singer showed a video at a Bastille Day concert in Paris with an image of the party's leader, Marine Le Pen, with a swastika on her forehead.
"I've heard that a certain Marine Le Pen was upset with me," Madonna told the crowd, according to the newspaper Le Parisien. "It's not my intention to make enemies."
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers