PSY's 'Gangnam Style' wins Korean top song award
By AP - KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
17th January 2013 03:33 PM
Rapper PSY's worldwide smash "Gangnam Style" has been crowned song of the year by South Korea's music industry association.
The viral sensation that became an international chart-topper last year won the Digital Daesang honor at the 2013 Golden Disk Awards, considered South Korea's version of the Grammys.
PSY did not attend Wednesday night's awards ceremony at Malaysia's Sepang International Circuit.
"Gangnam Style" clinched the award that's determined largely by downloads and ringtone sales. The song edged out contenders by acts including Big Bang, G-Dragon and T-ara.
The two-day awards ceremony was held outside South Korea for a second year after 2012's appearance in Japan.
Boy band Super Junior captured top album honors Tuesday for its sixth studio release, "Sexy, Free & Single."
- South block watch
- Greasepaint fails to hide K-town tension
- T M Soundararajan: An Alchemist who mixed melodies with emotions
- Srinivasan's Kolkata connect
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion
- Maoist attack: Kidnapped Chhattisgarh Congress chief, son found dead, toll 27
- Sonia shocked, PM offers help to Raman
- Vidya Balan to go gangsta?
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Siddaramaiah inducts SR Patil into Karnataka State Cabinet
- Maths paper puzzles CBSE Class XII students