Competition heats up for KFCC
By A Sharadhaa | ENS - BANGALORE
27th September 2012 08:34 AM
Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce (KFCC) will see a fresh face at the helm as it goes to polls this September 29. Three candidates are in the race for the President's post - B Vijaykumar, Rajendra Singh Babu and BN Gangadhar.
As a practice, the three wings of KFCC - producers, distributors and exhibitors - get the lead post using the rotation formula. This year the post is allotted to the Producer's sector. Vijaykumar, who is contesting for the post is a well-known filmmaker who has produced many films with Dr Vishnuvardhan; the last one being Simhadriya Simha. Vijaykumar is also the Chairman of the Silk Board and has been very active in politics.
Rajendra Singh Babu is a director who has been in the field for many years. He is also a distributor and producer for many films and has thrice won the Rajat Kamal Award for the best film and director for movies Bandhana, Muttina Haara and Mungarina Minchu. He has also been honoured with the prestigious Puttanna Kanagal award. He is been the President of Karnataka Film Director's Association and Karnataka Film and TV Technicians Association.
He was also in the Executive Committee at the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce. Coming from the second generation of Shanker Singh family, Rajendra Singh Babu heads the oldest banner in Kannada cinema - Mahatma Pictures which was started by his father.
The third candidate, BN Gangadhar, has been a distributor for more than 500 films and has produced 25 movies. Jiddu was his first Kannada movie, for which he turned producer in 1983. Gangadhar also owns an editing studio. A senior person in the industry, he has been the Vice President of KFCC in the past.
Jayamala will be the election officer and over 1200 members will cast their votes. Ganesh, Joe Simon and few others are in the fray for the posts of various office bearers.
The body which was formed to set rules and protect the Kannada Industry, will have contestants who are managing to influence several other voters.
Trying to make his foot firm in the KFCC, Vijakumar has been supported by producers Rockline Venkatesh, Munirathna, ST Anand, KV Nagesh Kumar, Soorappa Babu, KM Veeresh among others while BN Gangadhar has managed to get support from the distribution committee which include Ganesh R, P Rajendra, Prakash DS, Nanesh Aithal, Madhusudhan and a few more. The current president KV Chandrashekar, who represents the exhibitor sector, will make way for the new candidate on 30th September.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals