Saif Ali Khan, about romantic films
By Express Features
09th July 2012 12:06 PM
After discussing 'Bol Bachchan' with Ajay Devgn and Abhishek Bachchan, Anupama Chopra caught up with Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone in the next episode of her show, 'The Front Row with Anupama Chopra'. This was the first interview for the movie, 'Cocktail', and Chopra had flown to Turkey (where the duo is shooting for 'Race 2') for it. However, if you missed the show, here’s a round up of what their chat was all about.
Anupama Chopra: Saif, you talk about liking darker movies, like 'Ek Haseena Thi' or 'Omkara'. But as a producer, romance seems to be your thing.
Saif Ali Khan: Because I have a partner in film production. I put people around me whose opinions I also respect and know, because given a choice, my sensibility is to make what I’m told might not be the most commercial. I mean, if we were to translate it into Hollywood, I’d say I’d love to make a 'Mission Impossible', I’d love to make a Sherlock Holmes. I’d like to make all these kind of movies. Even though I enjoy starring in love stories, I find them to be little bit girly in terms of movie content. It’s slightly chick-flicky, which is wonderful and great fun to act in. I wouldn’t really go out of my way to watch them. So there is a dichotomy.
Deepika Padukone: That’s really weird, because love stories suit him.
Saif, in an interview you said want to be a warrior monk?
SAK: I thought that’s eventually the way one ends up. It means you approach life with aggression and you’re spiritual about things. You know you’re kind, you pray, you’re appreciative,you know what’sgoing on around you but at the same time you’re not passive and you are aggressive, you want to win, you want to do well. So there is an aggression in your nature but it’s a kind aggression... Courage and quick victory, that’s actually our family motto.
Deepika, are you a romantic person? Would you watch 'Cocktail' if you were not in it?
DP: Absolutely. It’s really the kind of movie that I’d like to watch and I’m always drawn to love stories.
Finally, Saif, is marriage on the cards this year?
SAK: Yes, I hope and think so, yes, for sure.
Is there a date?
SAK: Yes there is a date in October. I would like to discuss it with Kareena (Kapoor) and my family before I say it on television.
Are you nervous?
SAK: I’m not nervous yet I think people should be a little nervous about momentous occasions of their life. That shows that they’re taking them seriously. I know what I’m doing. I’m quite looking forward to it, actually.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling