Salman steps in to rescue Sarabjit
29th June 2012 12:25 PM
Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has urged the people of Pakistan to help him in efforts to free Sarabjit Singh, the Indian who is on death row in the neighbouring country.
"Requesting the people of Pakistan to support me to help free Sarabjit, who has been in prison since 30 yrs. Please. Allah ka vasta (for god's sake)," Salman tweeted.
"Request the awam (people) of Pakistan, members of the press, Govt of Pakistan, President (Asif Ali Zardari) Zardari, a humble request. It would be the most amazing gesture to send Sarabjit back to his family after 30 years. Hope you support me like it's your own cause," he added.
Hours after reports emerged that Pakistan was to free Sarabjit, the officials clarified that another Indian prisoner named Surjeet Singh, who has been in jail for three decades, would be released instead. The change of stance created a stir across India.
The actor was upset after he saw Sarabjit's family in dispair.
"I saw a picture of Sarabjit's sister, it killed me. Felt real sad for her. Help me, help her," he tweeted further.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15