Swimwear ’13: Cut outs, high waists and bustiers
By Express Features
29th July 2012 12:00 AM
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim, which wrapped up on July 23, saw some of the industry’s biggest names including Mara Hoffman and Cia.Maritima descend on Miami Beach, Florida to present their Spring/Summer 2013 beach collections. Here is a roundup of five of the biggest trends to look out for next year, including colour blocking, cutouts and jewellery adornments. And yes, it’s swimwear that we’re talking about:
Jewellery is going to play a key role in swimwear next year, with gold detailing adorning yacht-ready creations at Nicolita, Cia.Maritima and Dolores Cortés. At Sauvage, a star fish brooch sparkled just below the navel, while gold adorned models’ necks. Gold studs were seen at Agua Bendita, while sheer kaftans were enhanced with jeweled embellishments at Mara Hoffman.
There was a rainbow of patterns on display during the five-day event, with floral, tie-dye and tribal among the most prevalent. Xtra Life Lycra Brand and Red Carter were two of the biggest purveyors of prints, while Eclairée and Poko Pano both made an impact with their colour block swimsuits. The latter favoured pink, yellow and green geometric shapes, while Eclairée introduced a touch of color with horizontal blocks of pink and beige.
Ladies not confident enough to don the skimpy string bikini bottoms regularly seen on the Miami Swim catwalk will be pleased to hear that high waists are going to be a major trend for Spring/Summer 2013, with labels including Luli Fama, Poko Pano, Mara Hoffman and ANK embracing the look. White Sands presented ultra girly floral and frilly varieties, while L*Space showcased a sleek grey and black pair–both prevented theirs looking frumpy by teaming the bottoms with youthful bandeau tops.
Good news for women who’re rather well endowed on top is that bras incorporating swimwear were also big news on the catwalk. L*Space’s sporty bandeau tops had underwired support while Luli Fama kept bra tops from looking dull with bow adornments. Aqua Di Lara and ANK both favoured lingerie-inspired bustiers, and the latter contrasted fitted white cropped tops with high-waisted black bottoms for a monochrome appearance.
And finally–though perhaps not ideal for optimum tanning–the cut-out trend is going nowhere in Spring/Summer 2013. At the Dolores Cortés presentation, show-stopping neon creations featured stomach cutouts that were ideal for showing off toned abs, while cut-out detailing was also big at Mara Hoffman and Eclairée, where swimsuits featured daring sheer vertical panels. One of the highlights on the Xtra Life Lycra Brand runway was a yellow and purple cut out one piece with capped sleeves.–AFP Relaxnews
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15