Reasons to watch
By Mrinalini Sundar
31st January 2012 12:33 AM
Matt King (George Clooney), a lawyer and the sole trustee of 25,000 acres of virgin land, is shattered when his wife Elizabeth (Patricia Hastie) meets with a speedboat accident. He struggles to deal with his two daughters, 10-year-old Scottie and 17-year-old Alex (Shailene Woodley) and some painful truths.
Director Alexander Payne (think Sideways) has portrayed human comedy in the most realistic way. The movie, a remake of the 2009 novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings, has Clooney giving his best. He comes across as a man who is true, raw and emotionally charged. The soundtrack is a blend of traditional and modern Hawaiian music.
Haywire is an electrifying story about a female covert ops specialist who seeks payback after discovering she has been betrayed by someone close during a mission.
The movie has a strong supporting cast and director Steven Soderbergh has turned to MMA fighter Gina Carano for the lead. There is an attempt by the director to avoid high-tech wizardry as much as possible. Though it is an action movie, he has kept it realistic. Look out for the scene featuring a conversation between two characters as they stand about 10 feet apart in a plane hangar.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs