More power for panchayat presidents in state called for
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
22nd November 2012 12:37 PM
A call for more power to be vested in the hands of panchayat presidents and a hike in administrative allowances to panchayat administrations was raised on Wednesday, at a one-day seminar on legislation and strategies that are beneficial to panchayat presidents. The seminar, organised by the Tamil Nadu Federation of Women Presidents of Panchayat Government (TNFWPPG) and the Tamil Nadu Dalit Panchayat Presidents Federation, saw the participation of panchayat presidents from different parts of the State.
Protection of lands entrusted with panchayats, removal of encroachments from panchayat spaces, gram sabha, duties of panchayat presidents, financial management, gram sabha displacements due to industrialisation, use of NREGA to maximise the use of lands and common resources and the repeal of powers vested in Collectors to veto decisions and order the removal of panchayat presidents were among the key topics of discussion. The meeting also passed resolutions demanding the right of gram sabhas to decide their own agenda instead of the district administration, repeal of the power of Collectors to veto decisions and remove panchayat presidents, electricity subsidies and increase in administrative expenditure.
Former Additional Director of Rural Development B Thiyagarajan, Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry Bar Association Vice Chairperson MS Nathan, Senior Advocate Sudha Ramalingam and O Fernandes, Director of Human Rights Foundation were among those who addressed the gathering.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Key relationships
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Hope floats for Nokia