Trivia, knowledge and quizzing
By Nandita Raman - CHENNAI
30th October 2012 01:33 PM
The Indian Institute of Technology Madras has a long history of conducting exciting and innovative quizzes, and they lived up to their reputation with the IIT-M Open Quiz 2012 on Sunday. The quiz was conducted by the Quiz Club, at the IIT-M campus. The event saw over 400 people participating with the top eight teams selected to the finals.
The quiz had interesting trivia that kept the participants on the stage busy. For example, did you know that Mohiniattam had one change which was inspired by the paintings of Raja Ravi Varma? While most teams took many wild guesses, inspired by the sarees and blouses women wore, the correct answer was that the dancers started tying their hair in buns, inspired by the paintings.
Another interesting fact was that due to a misplaced decimal point by Professor von Wolff, the iron content of spinach was stated as 10 times higher than it should have been, thus inspiring Popeye, the cartoon character. The IIT-M team is known for inventing the highly popular Long Visual Connect format and this year’s quiz had the LVC round which pleased both avid quizzers and the general audience.
After five rounds of quizzing, ‘QED’ comprising G Swaminathan, Gopal Kidao and R Jayakanthan won the quiz. At second place were ‘Team Nexus’ with Navin Rajaram, Venkatesh Srinivasan and Alagar Samy. ‘Gaja Ka Dost’ which included G Krishnamurti, Ashwin Kumar and Keshavan came third, after winning a close tie-break. NIT Trichy won the best college team, while Bala Vidya Mandir won the best school team award.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers