This team can win the T20 world cup again: Srikkanth
By PTI - MUMBAI
10th August 2012 07:24 PM
BCCI Selection Committee chairman Krishnamachari Srikkanth today hailed Yuvraj Singh's return to international cricket and said the left-hander will be an important factor for the Indian team's success in the upcoming Twenty20 World Cup.
"We are very happy that Yuvraj Singh has been declared fit. Yuvraj is a very crucial factor. If he gets going he can win matches single-handedly for us. Don't forget 2007 T20 World Cup (won by India in South Africa), he was the man of the series," Srikkanth said.
"In 2011 World Cup too, he was man of the series. We hope he continues in the same vein. And he has fought his way back.
We really appreciate the kind of efforts put in by Yuvraj. He will be a great factor from Indian cricket's point of view.
"It is very good to see Yuvraj back with the Indian team starting with the World Cup T20. I am sure with this kind of combination that we have selected, we will definitely have a great chance of winning the T20 World Cup," he added.
About the Test selection, the former India captain insisted that the selected team was the best though there were hardly any changes from the squads, barring Rahul Dravid who has retired, that were whitewashed in England and Australia.
"We had a long discussion. What we have taken into account is the immediate, that is the New Zealand series and we thought the team we selected was the best. We want to get back into the winning ways," Srikkanth told reporters here.
Referring to the T20 World Cup to be held in Sri Lanka from September 18 to October 7, the former India opener said factors like mental strength and conditions that the team will encounter has been taken into consideration.
"We are playing the World Cup so we took a lot of factors into consideration such as what kind of mental preparation you need for the world cup, the kind of ground conditions and the kind of conditions there," Srikkanth said.
"We wanted to get a very well balanced side and we had a long discussion. We had a discussion with a team management also. Overall, we thought we have come to a team that can win the T20 world cup again.
"We won the T20 World Cup in 2007. We won the 50-over World Cup last year. So we are very keen to win the 2012 T20 World Cup. I think we have got a very good side. A very powerful strong side that is capable of winning a T20 World Cup.
"This is probably my last selection meet for the international side. I did the best I could do and leave the rest to the will of the god. I am sure by god's grace we will win the T20 world cup," he added.
- India's poor need more purchasing power, not doles
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- 'Kerala will lose 10 per cent of water resources by 2030'
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks
- 10-year-old prodigy to enter Harvard University