Srikkanth liberated me a batsman: Sunil Gavaskar
By PTI - TORONTO
09th August 2012 02:00 PM
Reminiscing his glory days, former Indian captain Sunil Gavaskar rated Kris Srikkanth as the best opening partner he had, saying that the right-hander "liberated" him as a batsman.
"As my opening partner, Srikkanth somehow liberated me as a batsman. He used to encourage me to play the shots that I wouldn't otherwise offer. He had a positive influence on me," said Gavaskar.
Replying to a query on IPL at an event in Toronto to promote cricket, Gavaskar said the event was good for the game.
"Previously players could not think of cricket for livelihood, unless they had played at the national level but now they can," he said.
Asked to name the best opening pairs in the world, Gavaskar said he felt the honour is shared between the Australian combos of Bobby Simpson/Bill Lawry and Matthew Hayden/Justin Langer.
The legendary opener was in the Canadian capital to promote cricket among the Indo-Canadians.
"I am willing to spend a couple of days every year in Canada to give the young cricketers profession training so that they can compete globally," he said.
MoneyGram, the money transfer giant, announced that legendary cricket player Sunil Gavaskar will be the ambassador for the company as part of its multi-year agreement with the International Cricket Council (ICC), at an event in Toronto.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals