Tendulkar, Zaheer at 12th spot in Test rankings
By PTI - DUBAI
08th August 2012 03:10 PM
Sachin Tendulkar and Zaheer Khan are both occupying 12th spot to be the highest-placed Indian cricketers in the latest ICC Test batsmen and bowlers rankings list, respectively, issued on Tuesday.
While Tendulkar is the only Indian in the top-20 of the batting list, Zaheer has company in the form of spinner Pragyan Ojha, who held on to his 20th spot, in the bowling chart.
Meanwhile, England's Kevin Pietersen has returned to the top 10 after smashing a century against South Africa in the second Test that ended in a draw at Leeds on Monday.
Pietersen's knock of 149 in England's first innings score of 425 not only earned him the man-of-the-match award but also provided him with a leap of seven places, which has put him in 10th position.
The latest rankings were released on Tuesday after the conclusion of the Leeds Test and also incorporates performances from the Jamaica Test, which was won by the West Indies against New Zealand by five wickets on Sunday to seal a series win of 2-0.
In the bowlers' table, South African fast bowler Vernon Philander has achieved a career-best ranking of third, as well as career-best rating after match figures of 3 for 98. England now need to win the Lords Test, starting from August 16, to retain their number one position, while South Africa require a draw to move to the top.
If England win the Test, it will finish on 121 ratings points, pushing South Africa behind Australia into third position on 114 ratings points. However, if England lose the Test, then they will slip to second position on 117 ratings points while South Africa will move to number-one spot on 120 ratings points.
If England salvage a draw, then both the sides will be tied on 118 ratings points with South Africa taking the top spot by a fraction (0.1634) of a point. West Indies and New Zealand have also swapped places on the Test table with the former now on seventh and the later on eighth.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15