‘Better to focus on other batsmen than Sachin’
By L Nandan
05th January 2011 11:22 AM
CAPE TOWN: He bowled one of the most hostile spell of fast bowling one had witnessed this season but Dale Steyn feels that when Sachin Tendulkar is in his element, it is better to focus on trying to get other batsmen out.
"Sachin's a very good player. There's no point wasting energy bowling at him. You focus on the other guys. But if you bowl a good ball to him or a No. 11 it remains a good ball," the fearsome speahead of the Proteas attack complimented the maestro for his masterful 146 which provided India a slender first innings lead.
Steyn, inarguably the best bowler among either sides in the current series is happy that he is able to generate swing at a good pace.
"It does shape nicely. It's always nice to get wickets.
It was even more fulfilling because Kallis wasn't there to bowl for us. To bowl 30 overs in the heat was quite tough. The job's only halfway done," said the bowler who had figures of five for 75 to show for his efforts.
Although South African bowlers were unlucky not to have got wickets even after bowling good deliveries, Steyn feels there is no point in wasting time thinking over it.
"You just have to pick yourself up. There's no point crying about not picking up wickets. That's Test cricket for you. Just the other day, I played in Abu Dhabi and Dubai and didn't pick up any wickets. If you play long enough, bowl in the right areas, wickets will come," he added.
Although South Africa are leading by 50 runs, Steyn refused to predict what will be a winning score on this track.
"We haven't really thought about it. We first want to bat and get into a position from where we can't lose the game. We just really want to bat well tomorrow," the bowler stated.
Steyn agreed that the second new ball is doing a fair bit but it's a struggle after that.
"It seems like the new ball seems to do a little bit. If batsmen can survive the new ball, then the ball gets a bit softer and the bowlers really have to struggle to get wickets."
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS