Dhoni & Co inspire me: Mithali Raj
By N Jagannath Das | ENS - HYDERABAD
18th September 2012 10:55 AM
Mithali Raj is world’s number one batswoman. Solid and dependable, the 29-year-old has been the torch-bearer of Indian women’s cricket team. The Hyderabadi is back as Indian captain and is looking forward to the ICC Women’s Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka.
On T20 World Cup
This is the first T20 World Cup that I will be leading. We are in a tough pool with Australia and England. To qualify for the semis we will have to beat one of these teams. These teams play aggressive and fearless cricket. We definitely need to play out of our skins.
On her return as captain of Indian team
I did not expect it to come back to me. But yes, the T20 World Cup will be a big challenge as a batter and as a captain.
On captain’s role in T20
On the field I think it is very important to be composed. If you lose your cool, you will not be able to strategise properly. In T20 the game is very fast, so you need to keep motivating your players to give their best.
On two wins in England
It was a big challenge. The team as a whole was also very low in confidence, particularly after a disappointing home series against Australia. Overall, it was a very tough series but winning the first two games prepared us for the coming World Cup.
On her team’s show
Having contributions from everybody made things easier. We were back among our winning ways. We have to be more consistent. It would have been better to win the series. The dressing room is much better after the England series.
On Indian fielding in World Cup
We have a fielding coach travelling along with us. It is not that the team is bad at fielding but the overall consistency is not there. We need to improve in a more consistent way. T20 is a fastpaced format, fielding will play a major role.
On Indian bowling
Our bowling will play a crucial role because of the familiar conditions. The conditions might help our spinners. A disciplined bowling attack and the best plans will benefit us a lot.
On other players in the team
Harmanpreet Kaur is amongst runs. We have Amita Sharma and Poonam Raut who are good. Niranjanais an upcoming allrounder. She was the highest wicket-taker in the England series. We can rely on her in the lower middleorder.
On Jhulan Goswami as bowling spearhead
Jhulan has been bowling well. She knows what it is to bowl in the T2o format. I am sure she will help the younger lot and have a good partnership at the other end.
On spinners Archana and Gouhar Sultana
Archana is only three-series old. But she is among wickets. Gouhar and Ekta are other spinners.
On inspiration from Dhoni’s men
There is a lot to look up to from the men’s cricket team. I am just hoping that the way they inspire me, they also inspire the youngsters to perform and work hard.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Western Ghats: Gadgil’s missive to Kasturirangan opens fresh debate
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Hyderabad beat Kolkata, make semis; put RCB out