Daredevils can’t take any team lightly: Sekar
By N Jagannath Das
10th May 2012 02:50 AM
HYDERABAD: Delhi Daredevils, on a roll this season, won’t take any team lightly. They will be playing with the same intensity irrespective of the opponents in the next 4 ma­t­ches. “We are still with 16 and we need 17 points to qualify. We have four matches to go and can’t be complacent as we are looking for a good run ra­te,” said TA Sekar, mentor of the team. Excerpts..
On Delhi’s pace attack
We have three bowlers — Umesh Yadav, Morne Morkel, Varun Aaron — who can bowl 145 plus. We have the best pace-oriented attack in the IPL. We have two young left-arm spinners in Negi and Nadeem. Even though their na­m­es have not been heard, they are fierce competitors.
On Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav
I have known Varun since the time he trained at the MRF Pa­ce Academy as a 15-year old. Unfortunately he had an injury and he is playing after six months. He bowled really well in the last match against Kolkata Knight Riders. Any bo­wler coming after six mon­ths would be rusty but Varun could still bowl at 145kph plus. Um­esh is a totally different bowler what he was. He had a very good Australian tour. He is an aggressive and wicket-taking bowler. We are not wo­r­ried when he goes for runs as he can take wickets any time.
On missing KP
We miss Kevin Pietersen. He played one of the best T20 centuries the last time when we played DC. We have got David Warner who is no less than him. He has also got ba­ck-to-back centuries in the Champions League. Pietersen bats at No 3 and Warner ope­ns. It doesn’t matter much.
On whether Andre Russell will be picked
Andre Russell is fit and we have not decided on our eleven. We are working on his bowling, but he is a very good all-rounder. He is very focused even though he has not got a chance in the first ten games.
On how the tournament has played out so far
You can’t take any team lightly in any IPL. Some of the tea­ms at the bottom have beaten the top teams. I think there is healthy competition.
On the wicket & conditions at Uppal
It is a good batting strip. We are playing our first match this season at this ground. In this time of the year it is hot in any part of India. It is tough for the cricketers.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- High Court's 'sensual' ruling seems unwedded to reality
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15