Morkel likes Sehwag’s approach to captaincy
By Express News Service
07th May 2012 06:46 AM
HYDERABAD: The gangling South African pace bowler Morne Morkel, who is the leading wicket-taker with 19 wickets and the proud holder of the Purple Cap, said the IPL is an ideal platform where he can get the taste of the sub-continental conditions and that will come in for the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka this September. “I have my little black notebook where I jot down some of the tips of Viru (Virender Sehwag) and Mahela (Jayawardene),” said Delhi Daredevil pace bowler.
On playing for Delhi
On leading the Daredevils’ bowling attack It is a special feeling. When I go back and join Proteas, this experience would be of enormous help.
On Sehwag’s captaincy
Personally, I hate the idea of trying to spoon-feed a cricketer as to what he needs to do in pressure situations. I have seen captains who love to dominate and direct a bowler about dos and don’ts in match situations. But when you are spoon-fed, you don’t grow as a cricketer. Make mistakes and try yourself to find out the solution. That’s why I like Sehwag’s approach as he likes you to be your own man. Viru would never set fields for you as he believes that if I am an international bowler, I am good enough to set my own fields. Only if things don’t work according to plan, he would come up and suggest an alternative.
On South Africans playing well in IPL
It’s good that all top South African players like AB (de Villiers), Dale (Steyn) and myself have done well in this edition.
On new pace sensation Vernon Philander
If someone has got 51 wickets in seven Tests, he is a special talent. He has been amazing during the past season. At times, it felt as if he has 10 years of international experience under his belt.
On who he rates as most dangerous batsman
It’s got to be KP (Kevin Pietersen). With his height and reach, he has been a phenomenal player of both pace and spin. We have seen what he has done during this IPL on these Indian tracks and he can be equally devastating on bouncy wickets in Australia and South Africa.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection