The death that is drinking
By Saliha Nasline - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
04th August 2012 11:33 AM
Only a few are touched by the hard every-day realities and want to bring about a change. One of them is Hafiz Muhammed. A student of the MPM English Medium School, Thammanam, he has made a short film, ‘The Death’. It gives the message to other students that having alcohol is bad.
He is keen to change the mindset of the students who are addicted to alcohol. Hafiz has done the direction and also acted in it. The script has been written by teachers Jayaraj Madayi and Hari Madayi.
The 30-minute short film depicts the plight of a mother, who is carrying out a lone battle against alcoholism. The woman narrates the story. The film highlights the fact that women bears the brunt of men’s alcoholism.
“Every woman in this country has a story to tell about alcoholism,” says Jayaraj. “They are the worst sufferers of men’s alcoholism.”
The movie also narrates how a youth falls into bad company and tastes alcohol for fun. Gradually, he becomes an alcoholic and dies in an accident. His mother cannot come to terms with the loss. Finally, she stages a protest in front of the civil station for a ban on alcohol.
“It was an inspiration from Jayaraj sir that enabled me to make the film,” says Hafiz.
“I received a lot of support from my family and the school. It is my first big work so I thought of giving a message to society.” Hafiz also assisted in short films, ‘Your attention please’ and ‘Missed call’, made by Jayaraj on behalf of the school.
“The film will be screened in schools and colleges in the city,” says Jayaraj.
The CD was released by Excise Minister K Babu the other day. School Principal Ibrahim was also present.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Knowledge and faith