Upgradation of Peroorkada Hospital on the cards
By Express News Service - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
24th July 2012 12:36 PM
The State Government is planning to convert the Peroorkada Model Government Hospital into a district hospital in a phased manner, Health Minister V S Sivakumar said in the Assembly on Monday. The development of the hospital will be realised along with efforts to turn the Medical College Hospital into a fully referral hospital.
Replying to the submission presented by K Muraleedharan MLA of the Congress, the Minister said that orders were issued for the transfer of overseeing powers of the Peroorkada Hospital from the City Corporation to the District Panchayat on July 13. The services of 42 doctors, including those in 35 approved posts, have been ensured for the hospital, he said and added that the Government has taken note of the lapses in the functioning of the hospital. He assured Muraleedharan that all steps will be taken to correct them.
“In a phased manner, the hospital will be developed to the standards of a district hospital,” he promised.
Muraleedharan highlighted the lack of amenities and infrastructure at the Peroorkada hospital as well as the deaths reported in recent times which created a controversy. There was even an instance of doctors keeping away from work in the OP wing last week.
“Considering the fact that lakhs and lakhs of people in the city and around are availing the services of the hospital, the Peroorkada hospital should be developed into a speciality centre,” the MLA urged.
Muraleedharan also demanded that the work on the new block should be completed at the earliest.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant