Be the first to taste 'government Shawarma' in city
By Express News Service - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
02nd June 2012 01:26 PM
Soon, chicken buffs in the capital city can queue up for the first-ever ‘government shawarma.’
Thrilled by soaring meat sales, state government-undertaking Meat Products of India (MPI) is planning to open its first stall dishing out the meat-and-vegetable Arab delicacy at Sasthamangalam.
‘’We are planning to open an outlet directly run by MPI at Sasthamangalam. (The present one is run through a franchisee). It will be the second directly-operated unit and it will have the first chicken shawarma stall,’’ MPI managing director Ani S Das said.
Why shawarma? The answer is simple. It’s hugely popular with the young crowd and wrapped in the traditional Arab ‘kuboos’ bread, is a ‘stand-and-eat’ dish, meaning the MPI will not require elaborate arrangements for serving it.
While vegetables are costing the common man dear, meat sales, especially that of chicken, are shooting up, according to the MPI.
On Thursday, the new mobile outlet of the MPI at Connemara Market, Palayam, sold a stunning 500 kg of chicken between 5 pm and 8 pm. Recently, MPI had reduced the price of cleaned chicken from ` 170 to ` 135.
At present, MPI has 180 outlets across the State, of which only one - at Jagathy - is run directly. The rest are operated through franchisees. In May, it posted a turnover of ` 75 lakh, a record for the government undertaking. Planning to open ten more outlets in the busier areas of the capital city, MPI has invited expressions of interest for opening commissioned-based units.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Key relationships
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner