This tour is no virtual reality
By Jisha Surya | ENS - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
06th December 2012 11:43 AM
“A motorbike expedition through North India is an entirely different experience,” said an all-excited Midhun H Kumar over phone. IT professionals Midhun, Smijth B and Aneesh V K have set out on an expedition, ‘The golden sands tour - West coast to Rajasthan’, on their Royal Enfields.
Starting from Thiruvananthapuram on November 24, the trio will be back in the city on Sunday after enjoying a motorbike ride through Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Goa.
When Express contacted them, Midhun, Smijith and Aneesh were taking a temporary halt on the Mumbai-Goa route. “There were only 16 days, which is a bit hectic. We didn’t get much time for sightseeing,” said Midhun.
Midhun works in Technopark-based Speridian Technologies, Smijith at QBurst and Aneesh at Trivand Technologies. It was Smijith and Aneesh who suggested the idea of a North Indian tour. “It took some time to convince my mother. Finally, she agreed,” said Midhun.
‘Motorcycle diaries’, the biopic on the life and journey of Che Guevara and his friend Alberto, inspired these friends. “We are friends from our college days at Lourdes Matha Engineering College. After going on motorcycle tours across the state and to Goa, we thought of organising a pan India trip. We availed 16 days’ leave and set out on this tour,” said Midhun.
Midhun owns a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 cruiser, while the others Royal Enfield Classic 350s. The trio has plans to spend some time in Goa before starting home.
Covering 7,000 km in 16 days was a tedious task for the trio. “If you ask us what we saw, we don’t have much to say. There was more travelling and less sightseeing,” Midhun said. However, Midhun and his friends added that it was a totally refreshing experience.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling