E-Governance: State IT department bags award
By Express News Service - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
21st November 2012 10:11 AM
The IT Department of Kerala has been chosen for eIndia Special Mention Award in the ‘ICT for D Pioneer State’ category, for effective implementation of e-governance.
The award recognises the application of information and communications technology to government functioning in order to create smart governance.
Ponnala Lakshmaiah, Minister for IT and Communication, Andhra Pradesh, presented the award to P H Kurian, Principal Secretary, IT Department during the eIndia summit held in Hyderabad.
Addressing a seminar on the topic ‘e-governance in India: the Road Ahead,’ at the summit, Kurian said that e-governance in Kerala had advanced a long way, from computerisation of government departments to initiatives that encapsulate the finer points of governance. They include citizen centricity, service orientation and transparency.
He also highlighted how e-governance can reform society in a better way. The changes produced by ICTs on the governance processes in Kerala, including its regulatory and legal frameworks, have helped in achieving the targets set by the Union Government in several fronts of e- governance.
Increased use of ICTs in the organisational and administrative procedures and roles of various stakeholders involved have made consequential effects in the decision-making process in governance, public management and service delivery in the State.
G Unnikrishnan, head, e-Governance, Kerala State IT Mission delivered a lecture on ‘Aadhaar based service delivery.’
Kerala has performed outstandingly in the recent past in many areas of e-governance, including in the e-district programme, citizen call centre and implementing e-tendering.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs