Glimpses of Ramette’s world
By Shevlin Sebastian - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
21st November 2012 11:56 AM
Alliance Francaise de Trivandrum is conducting a photography exhibition ‘The Upside Down World of Philippe Ramette’ at Museum Auditorium from 23 to 30 November. Philippe Ramette is a French sculptor and photographer who rose to fame in the 90s as part of the French contemporary art scene, creating strange wooden and metal instruments and objects. Photography was the logical next step, and through it he has created an odd, neo-romantic universe. In France, his bizarre images have been compared to the work of Buster Keaton and the world of silent cinema. For him, they are a statement about gravity, weightlessness and man’s relationship to the landscape. He likes to defy the laws of gravity, as well as those of logic.
Although he defines himself primarily as a sculptor, he started to use photography early on as a means of including himself within his own works. Ramette stages himself in his black suit and creates stunning images of landscapes, which he himself integrates in the most astonishing way.
He then produces shots in cooperation with photographer Marc Domage. These photos are never retouched because, above all, Philippe Ramette aims to remain in touch with the sculptural aspect of his work.
The exhibition will be inaugurated by T K Rajeevkumar, filmmaker, on November 23 at 5.30pm.
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan arrested
- Unswayed city backs CSK’s final ‘fix’ture
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion
- Police get Gurunath, Srinivasan squirms
- Dravid to retire from IPL?