Exhibition of books, CDs on history, heritage
By Express News Service - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
02nd October 2012 01:56 PM
The book exhibition organised at the showroom of Publications Division under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting at Press Road in the city on the sidelines of Gandhi Jayanti celebrations has begun. The exhibition showcases a number of books in Malayalam, English and Hindi covering several subjects, including history, politics and culture.
The highlights of the exhibition are a four-volume series, ‘History of the Freedom Movement in India’, priced at ` 1,105; ‘The Economic History of India’, a two-volume series priced at ` 435; ‘Bharatiya Vigyan Manjusha - A Treasure Trove of Ancient Indian Sciences’ etc. A set of books in a series, ‘Builders of Modern India’ also is noteworthy.
Amid the books on subjects, copies of magazines like ‘Kurukshetra’ and ‘Yojana’ can also be seen. Books with beautiful illustrations accompanied with informative descriptions is another feature of the exhibition. One such work is ‘Lamps of India’ by D G Kelkar, which delves on the various types of lamps in India such as Mughal lamps, chain lamps standing lamps and so on.
Children need not have to turn disappointed as there are a number of books awaiting them at the exhibition, including those in children’s literature.
Other than books, the exhibition also offers a chance to lap up technology with a collection of multimedia CDs under the title ‘Eternal India’ that sketches various facets of Indian culture. The CDs include ‘Legacy of Adi Shankara - Culture & Knowledge Tourism in India’, ‘Qutb Minar & the Qutb Complex’, ‘Sanchi Stupa- A Spiritual Symphony in Stone’, ‘Goa-India, a World Heritage & Tourist Destination’, ‘Konark- the Black Pagoda’ and ‘’Brihadeeshwara Temple - Thanjavur, India.’
Books are available at various price ranges and the one-week exhibition gives a 50-per cent discount on all books published till 2003 and a 10-per cent discount on other books. The CDs are offered at a 10-per cent discount.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Key relationships
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner