Shobha John, five others get seven-year RI
By Express News Service - KOCHI
09th August 2012 09:25 AM
The Ernakulam Additional Sessions Court on Wednesday awarded seven years’ rigorous imprisonment to Shobha John and five other accused in the case of blackmailing thantri Kandararu Mohanaru.
Sessions Judge E C Hari Govindan awarded the sentence to first accused Shobha John, third accused Anil Kumar and fourth accused Bechu Rehman under Section 120 B and slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 on each. The court also awarded them two years’ simple imprisonment to run concurrently and asked them to pay a fine of Rs 6,000 under Section 385 and Section 354.
Abdul Sathar, Majeed and Shereef alias Umbu will have to undergo a total of 12 years’ imprisonment (seven-year RI and five-year simple) and pay a fine of Rs 11, 000 each.
The court also awarded four years’ simple imprisonment to Bechu Rehman to run concurrently and slapped a fine of Rs 5,000 on him under Section 216 A.
The tenth and eleventh accused Asees and Biji Peter were slapped with four years’ rigorous imprisonment and Rs 5,000 as fine.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers