Demand for encroachment report not yet met
By Shalet Jimmy - KOCHI
31st July 2012 11:32 AM
Weeks after District Collector P I Sheik Pareeth issued a directive to submit a report on the encroachment of 20 cents of land along the old St Augustine’s Road, the officials have failed to respond promptly. According to the documents issued by the Collectorate, it has sought the report twice from the Revenue Divisional Officer (RDO), tahsildar of Kanayannur Taluk and village officer.
The Collector also confirmed that he has demanded a report from the officials.
“Though a report has been sought, they are yet to comply with the directive,” he said.
But the officials maintained that they are unaware of the encroachment which happened right under their nose.
“Such an issue has not come to our notice. If it does, we will take action,” said Rasheed, Kanayannur tahsildar.
Though the officials reiterated that they were not in the know, the RTI filed in this regard has a different story to tell.
It has been clearly stated that the old St Augustine’s Road has been encroached. It also said the officials have submitted a report stating that the dispute site has been inspected.
In the RTI, the village officer, Ernakulam has also stated that it took time to confirm the encroachment as there was no survey boundaries.
“Besides, it is close to the railway line which dragged the procedure,” it said. RDO K N Raji was not ready to comment.
The encroachment came to the notice of the Ernakulam District Residents Association Apex Council (EDRAAC) members while hunting for the five cents of land based on the announcement by Sports Minister K B Ganesh Kumar.
“The Minister has made a public statement that if any public or private land of about five cents of land is given to the Ministry of Sports, the same will be utilised for developing sports activities for the youth and others of the locality concerned. That is how we tumbled upon this major breach of rule,” said Joe Palocaren, executive member of EDRAAC.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- 'Sreesanth confesses to spot-fixing charge'
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt