Kamal Haasan opposes death penalty for rape
By Express News Service - KOCHI
24th December 2012 08:08 AM
“It is my bus! It is my capital! She is my sister and the man who committed the crime is my brother! I am ashamed,” gushed Kamal Haasan, on the rape incident in Delhi that shook the nation. The actor was on a visit to the city for the audio launch of his new movie ‘Viswaroopam’.
“But I cannot agree with the decision on capital punishment. How can we justify one crime by committing another,” the actor wondered. Kamal’s new movie ‘Viswaroopam’, released in Tamil and Hindi, has been made at a whopping budget of `95 crore. The movie would be released on January 11 and a day prior to the release, the movie will be premiered on direct-to-home (DTH) platforms.
“We have already inked pacts with some leading DTH providers for the movie premiere at 9.30 pm on January 10. The movie will be available on Airtel, Tata Sky, Sun, Dish, Videocon and Reliance networks. The price of viewing the film at home will be `1,000 per connection. There will be a single telecast at the above mentioned time which cannot be recorded.
The unique electronic signature would help us detect the set-up box, in case the movie is being copied,” the actor said. The Hindi version will be available in the North, except on Tata Sky.
However, the actor admitted that the TV premiere cannot match the theatre experience, as Viswaroopam is the first Indian movie to be equipped with the Auro-3D sound system.
“In Chennai, a total of 25 theatres are equipped with the sound system. In Kerala, around three theatres are expected to have this system by the time of the release,” Kamal said.
The actor expressed his optimism on the decision to conduct a premiere on DTH platform, which will set a new trend.
Brushing aside rumours, the actor stated that the theme of the movie is not anti-Muslim.
“The USP of the film is its content and I believe that people will like it for the effort that we have put in. We have brought together some talented technicians from across the globe,” Kamal added.
A sequel to Viswaroopam would be released next year, the actor said. Kamal Haasan, Rahul Bose, Shekar Kapoor, Pooja Kumar and Andrea are will star in the movie.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Key relationships
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Hope floats for Nokia
- Bangalore crush Chennai in 8-over match, keep semi hopes alive