Pampa buses await pilgrims
By Express Features - KCOHI
15th November 2012 11:59 AM
The Kerala State Road Transport Corporation has made necessary arrangements to ply buses from Ernakulam railway stations to Pampa with the commencement of Sabarimala season on November 15.
According to KSRTC officials, 40 new buses have been sanctioned to Ernakulam for the pilgrimage season. Currently, the available services at Ernakulam and the neighbouring depots will be utilised to make up for the existing shortage of buses here till the new buses arrive.
From Thursday, at least four buses will be stationed continuously at the Ernakulam Junction Railway Station from 6 am to 9 pm. Based on the demand and requirement of the pilgrims, more buses will be deployed to the station every fifteen minutes.
A special KSRTC counter will be opened at the station with linguistic experts in Tamil, Kannada, Telugu and Hindi to aid the pilgrims who alight from trains. Extra drivers and crew will also be deployed to Ernakulam during the Sabarimala season.
Meanwhile, the Railways will also operate more trains during the season. From next Thursday, a special train bound for Chennai will operate from the Ernakulam Junction Station. Extra parking areas are being allotted for the special private taxis which will cater to the needs of the pilgrims. Counters of the Ayyappa Seva Sangham will also be set up.
To keep a tab on the security of the public during the season, the Railway Protection Force will deploy 28 more personnel from various divisions to the Ernakulam Junction alone.
They will be entrusted with the task of crowd control, platform control and parking control. Banners and televised scrolls on the dangers of burning camphors on running trains will be displayed.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship