Rare surgery at Ernakulam Medical Centre
By Express News Service - KOCHI
27th October 2012 09:41 AM
In one of the rare cases in medical surgeries in Kerala, the skull of a 21-year-old girl was replaced by an artificial titanium mesh here in Kochi.
The surgery was conducted by surgeons at the Ernakulam Medical Centre. According to neurosurgeon Dr A V Sreenivas, who is one among the doctors who led the surgery on the girl who hails from Kunnamkulam, it is very unusual to replace a skull with an artificial mesh whenever the defect is large.
“There have been instances in Kerala where artificial skulls have been replaced but these have been done when the defects were smaller,” he said.
He added that the girl had been involved in an accident one-and-a-half years ago when she fractured her skull in a road accident at Nedumbassery.
“She had lost a lot of cerebro-spinal fluid. Also, the surgery was very complicated. When we conducted the initial surgery, she was discharged without attaching a large portion of her skull. The titanium mesh was placed in two phases. The first phase was completed in April while the second phase was successfully completed last week,” Dr Sreenivas said.
Anasthesia HoD Dr Mathew Varghese and Dr Murukesh Sukumar was also part of the team.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals