Keeping her fingers crossed: Priya Jerson
By Varsha Mohan - KOCHI
28th September 2012 11:37 AM
For this girl, a wait of almost a year will soon reach its fruition. Next month, she is all set to appear on the grand finale round of a music reality show in a Malayalam television channel. She is the only school student who has entered the list of finalists in the show.
Having been interested in singing from a young age, Priya Jerson, a class XI student of Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Vaduthala, has never looked beyond inter-school singing competitions during her younger days. However, it all changed after she attended the auditions for the season-one of a music reality show last July. Right now, this young girl is quite thrilled about having been selected for the grand finale round, which will be telecast live on October 13. The cheery lass is now among the five finalists.
Speaking about time spent as part of the reality show, she becomes verbose. She says, “I used to be appreciated most for my fast numbers,” and adds, “A lot of celebrity guests, including Shreya Ghoshal, had come to judge the show. It was a very exciting experience to meet and bond with these celebrity judges, who also include famous lyricists. I feel happy to be able to share space with the judges- Sujatha ma’am and Sreeni sir.” The young singer, who enjoys singing both classical melodies and fast numbers, has also been training in classical music for some time now. She adds, “I am learning classical music from K M Udayan based in Elamakkara and Hindustani music from Vijay Sursain of Vytillla.” Though she has journeyed so far in visualising her dream of being a singer, she talks humbly, adding, “My dream was just to participate in the show and if possible reach the finals. I’m not very worried whether I’ll win the show.”
The young girl will even turn playback singer for one song each for coming movies Teens and Saamrajyam-2. For Saamrajyam-2, she has even moved her lips for a duet with Pakistani singer Atif Aslam. She has also sung for the Malayalam movie ‘Bhoopadathil Illatha Oridam’ which was released on September 14.
But what if, she turns out the winner of this season? The cheery lass replies she is looking forward to taking music as a career if she turns out to be the winner. The young contestant is keeping her fingers crossed.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Western Ghats: Gadgil’s missive to Kasturirangan opens fresh debate
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Hyderabad beat Kolkata, make semis; put RCB out
- Kept on Congress fringe, says Mani Shankar Aiyer