Special drive against wrong number plates
By Express News Service - HYDERABAD
09th August 2012 09:01 AM
In view of the terrorist threats to the country, the Hyderabad traffic police are all set to launch a special drive on improper number plates in the twin cities from August 13.
Heavy penalties will be imposed on motorists found driving with improper number plates and carrying no driving licence, registration certificates or other documents. Their vehicles will be released only after drivers, along with their parents, attend a counselling, said additional commissioner of police (traffic) C V Anand.
“In the last couple of months, we have noticed many vehicles bearing number plates not in accordance with the prescribed sizes under the Motor Vehicle Act. Signs stating, ‘police’, ‘government vehicle’, ‘corporator’, ‘press’, ‘army’, ‘MLA’, ‘MP’ etc are often seen,” Anand said.
The said tampering of number plates is also being done to avoid police check and surveillance by security cameras. The implications of such violations are huge in the light of terrorist threats. “Wrong number plates mislead investigation agencies. Last year, a lot of anomalies were rectified in a similar drive conducted by the traffic police,” Anand said.
A penalty of up to Rs 5000 will be imposed on defaulters (as per section 192 (1) of the MV Act. In case of false number plates and deletion of digits/letters, the vehicles will be seized and a criminal case registered.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham