Daily labourer washed away in choked city nala
By Express News Service - HYDERABAD
22nd June 2012 10:32 AM
A 25-year-old daily labourer, hired by a labour contractor of the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC), was washed away in a big nala at Bata Junction, RP Road in Secunderabad on Thursday while he was cleaning the nala. Four other labourers were also received serious injuries in the incident.
The victim was identified as Devraj, a daily labourer and a resident of Gudimalkapur, was a native of Warangal district. The injured --Chandraiah, Pramila, Ravi and Ellamma, all residents of Gudimalkapur-- were shifted to Gandhi Hospital.
According to police, five daily labourers, hired by a GHMC contractor, Suraiah, came to the Bata Junction on Thursday morning to clear rain water in a 150-metre-long nala near Nala Basthi, which was choked with garbage and mud.
With residents of Nala Basthi near RP road in Secunderabad lodging complaints to the GHMC officials on water-logging in the locality due to recent rains, the GHMC entrusted the desilting and cleaning of the nala to a contractor Suraiah. “The 150-metre-long nala under a small bridge was choked with garbage and mud and water flow was high. We informed the contractor (Suraiah) that it was impossible to desilt it with a few workers. But, he forced us to go inside and complete the work,” said Ellamma, one of the victims, who was hospitalised with serious injuries. “Devraj broke the slab of the bridge and entered into the nala. But,he was washed away with the water current. We failed in our bid to save him,’’ Ellamma said.
Three others workers, who noticed Devaraj being washed away, alerted Suraiah who in turn informed the GHMC officials. Soon, police reached the spot. They along with the workers could fish out Devraj’s body after a five-and-half-hour search.
However, the GHMC officials blamed the contractor for the tragedy.” It happened due to negligence of the contractor. Stern action will be taken against him,” said S Harikrishna, commissioner, GHMC Secunderabad Zone. The police registered a case under section 304 (A)(causing death by negligence). The investigation is on progress.
Meanwhile, GHMC mayor Majid Hussain announced an ex gratia of Rs1 lakh to kin of Devraj and promised job to one of the family members in the GHMC. The mayor along with deputy mayor G Raj Kumar, GHMC floor leaders of different political parties and GHMC special commissioner Naveen Mittal visited the spot.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15