Police-student face-off again at Osmania University
By Express News Service - HYDERABAD:
02nd October 2012 12:18 PM
The Telangana bandh call given by the Telangana Student Joint Action Committee and Osmania University JAC turned violent when the police prevented the students from taking out a rally from OU campus to Tarnaka.
Meanwhile, the bandh hardly had any impact in the twin cities. Around 11.30 am on Monday, hundreds of students took out rally from the Arts College premises towards Tarnaka.
As the rally reached OU police station, the police prevented the protestors from continuing with the rally as there was no prior permission. While the agitated students started throwing stones on the cops and the police station , the police retaliated by lobbing tear gas shells to disperse the mob. Despite police warnings and repeated announcements on loud speakers for the crowd to disperse, the students did not budge and continued with their protest.
It took almost one-and-half-hour for the police to bring situation under control.
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks