‘Keep OBCs in promotion quota loop’
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
06th September 2012 08:44 AM
DMK president M Karunanidhi, PMK founder S Ramadoss and DK president K Veeramani on Wednesday demanded that Other Backward Classes (OBCs) too should be given reservation in promotions along with the SC/STs. However, Karunanidhi appealed to all parties to cooperate with the government in passing Bill providing for reservation in promotions for SC/STs since only two days are left for the current session of Parliament. He said already, DMK parliamentary party leader TR Baalu had requested the Centre to provide reservation for OBCs in promotions. While welcoming the move to provide reservation to SC/STs in promotions, PMK founder Ramadoss, in a statement here, recalled that though 27 per ce nt reservation had been given to OBCs 22 years ago, they could not get appropriate representation till now.
Even the Supreme Court had held that OBCs too should be given reservation wherever SC/STs were given reservation, he said, and urged the Centre to modify the present Bill to provide reservation for promotions to SC/STs by adding OBCs too in the list.Meanwhile, DK leader K Veeramani, urged the Centre provide reservation for OBCs.
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan arrested
- Unswayed city backs CSK’s final ‘fix’ture
- Police get Gurunath, Srinivasan squirms
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days