PT teacher held for injuring student
By R Prince Jebakumar - CHENNAI
09th August 2012 10:15 AM
A Physical Trainer was arrested by the police for injuring a student in the eye inadvertently here on Wednesday.
Police said Ishwarya (10), a class V student of A Ganesan Matriculation School at Vijayanagar in Velachery, attended the Sports Day rehearsals at school at 10 am.
B Venkateshan, the Physical Education Trainer, had wielded a bamboo stick to warn a mischievous boy who was in file in front of Ishwarya. In a flash, the stick slipped off Venkateshan’s hand and injured the girl while the boy ducked to avoid the flying stick.
Speaking to Express, Subbarayan, the girl’s father, said he received a call from the school that Ishwarya was injured in the eye. “When I went there, I was told it was an accident. I took her to a private hospital which insisted on a police complaint for treating her. We approached the police and they sent us to Egmore Eye Hospital,” he said.
According to Velachery Inspector Rajendran, the girl had minor injuries and swelling in the left eye. She was treated as an outpatient and was asked to appear for a review later. “We have received a complaint from the child’s father and have recorded the statement of the kid. We arrested the PT Teacher,” he said adding that Venkateshan was remanded to judicial custody.
Man Kills Brother Over Water Dispute
A man was allegedly murdered by his brother over a water-sharing dispute here on Tuesday night.
Kesavan (28) installed a borewell near his house on Muthukumarasamy Street in Perambur a couple of years ago, police said. His brother Kutti (26) used to draw water from the borewell for a business he was running.
On Sunday, Kesavan’s wife Saranya, who was away since she had a baby four months ago, returned home and apparently used water from the borewell. Kutty reprimanded her for it. Kesavan learnt of this and, on Monday, had a fight with Kutty till neighbours intervened.
On Tuesday morning, Kesavan damaged the borewell. and, on the same night, Kutti and his accomplice Seenu alias Srinivasan (32) attacked him with weapons. He sustained multiple injuries and his left wrist was severed. He was rushed to a hospital but was declared ‘brought dead’. Police arrested Seenu while a hunt was on for Kutti, Inspector Kamil Batcha said.
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought