Can return to Hinduism get SC benefits?
By Sruthisagar Yamunan / ENS - CHENNAI
08th August 2012 07:47 AM
Can a person who had reconverted to Hinduism claim benefits reserved for Adi Dravidars? Will reconversion automatically revert them to the ‘caste’ that they belonged to before conversion?
This complex question came up through a petition at the open hearing of the NHRC on Tuesday. Satyabrata Pal, a member of the commission, sought a report from the government in this regard.
Petitioner S Rani of Kanyakumari, claimed that she had studied in a missionary school attached to an orphanage in Nagercoil. While she was a Hindu Adi Dravidar by birth, she alleged that during her days in orphanage, her religion was changed without her consent in various certificates, depriving her of benefits that a Hindu Adi Dravidar is entitled to. Therefore, she reauested to issue a Hindu Adi Dravidar certificate to her.
Responding to this, the government represented by the Secretary of the Adi Dravidar Welfare Department said that when a Hindu converts to Christianity, he or she becomes a BC member. Such a person can’t enjoy the benefits entitled for a Hindu Adi Dravidar. Decisions pertaining to this issue could be taken by a panel headed by Collector.
Issuing orders, Satyabrata Pal said it would be better if the government further elucidated on the issue and sought a report in four weeks.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- New Mental Health Bill bans electric shocks, gives right to treatment
- Caste curses Dalit, tribal children to life of slavery beyond borders
- Tiruchendur temple ‘under grip’ of Tirusundarars
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Berthing facilities for naval ships
- Several cheating cases against Saritha S Nair
- Imran Khan damaged Pakistan cricket: Aamir Sohail
- Shalu Menon's mother files plaint
- 'Ankur Arora Murder Case' (Hindi)