CCTV cams roll as lover slits sales girl's throat in shop
By H Sheik Mydeen and U Tejonmayam, ENS - CHENNAI
04th July 2012 09:07 AM
In a daring incident that shocked the city, a 19-year-old sales girl was allegedly killed by her lover inside a textiles shop on Tuesday evening. The lover attempted suicide and was admitted to a hospital. The whole act was recorded in the CCTVs installed in the store, police said.
According to police, Muruganantham (23), son of Ponnusamy, and Bhavani (19), daughter of Kumar, both hailing from Padikkuppam near Thirumangalam, worked as sales staff at a textiles store in Thirumangalam. Bhavani and Muruganantham reportedly had been in love for the past three years and met ever so frequently in solitary corners both within and outside the store for a chat.
Two months ago, based on complaints from the customers and the neighbours, Bhavani was fired from her job. She was later reinstated after her parents intervened and spoke to her employers. But, the duo continued with their escapades and were once again noticed by the customers during their tittle-tattle. However, Muruganantham this time around raised suspicion over Bhavani’s closeness with one Susikumar of Padikkuppam. On Tuesday, they had a tiff after which Muruganantham slit the girl’s throat.
Police said he used a vegetable knife that he hid in his clothes. After a few seconds, he also attempted to suicide by slitting his own neck. “We saw the shocking incident and rushed both to the nearest private hospital. But doctors announced Bhavani dead on arrival,” said a staff of the shop. Police Inspector R Frank T Ruban visited the spot and inquired with the staff and neighbours. “The incident was recorded in the CCTV,” he confirmed.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals