Chennai airport runway to shut for 6 hours on Saturday for repairs
By PTI - CHENNAI
29th June 2012 11:16 PM
The runway at the airport here would be shut down for six hours tomorrow for undertaking maintenance work, airport officials said today.
The work would be carried out on the central portion of the runway to enhance the 'friction value' and the runway would remain closed from 1 pm to 7 pm, they said.
Subsequently Air India today announced rescheduling some of its flights.
"Due to closure of runway, Air India has rescheduled some of its flights operating from Chennai," an AI release said.
Flights to Colombo, Kochi, Bangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, Sharjah, Hyderabad and Kolkata had been rescheduled, it said.
Because of the maintenance work, UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee will land at the Tambaram Airforce Station on the city outskirts on his visit for launching his campaign, officials said.
He would meet DMK Chief M Karunanidhi and MPs and MLAs of the UPA allies and other parties to enlist their support.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15