Businessman held day after boy drowns
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
24th June 2012 09:06 AM
The owner of the thermocol manufacturing company in Maduravoyal was arrested in connection with the drowning of 12-year-old Praveen Kumar on Saturday. Meanwhile, police resorted to a mild cane-charge after the boy’s relatives blocked Maduravoyal Bypass Road demanding action and compensation.
Police said they arrested company owner Loganathan (40), after Praveen Kumar, son of MTC driver Arumugam, drowned in a recycling water tank there. The boy had gone there with his friends to play when he slipped and fell into tank that was almost 13 feet deep. “We have booked the owner for act of negligence as the boy drowned in the tank containing boiling water that was left open,” said R Sreenivasan, Assistant Commissioner, Koyambedu.
Earlier in the day, close to a 100 relatives and residents of Maduravoyal staged a road roko demanding action, causing a traffic pile-up. Police sources said they had to use mild force to disperse the protestors as they were not ready to leave even after the police assured action.
“We wanted action against the company owner or shut the company down permanently,” a protestor said. Police said they had arrested the owner even before protestors blocked traffic.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today