Collection agent attacked, robbed of Rs 25 lakh
By R Prince Jebakumar | ENS - CHENNAI
22nd January 2013 07:19 AM
In a broad daylight robbery on Monday, an armed six-member gang took Rs 25 lakh from an employee of a private firm at Thirumangalam. Two of the suspects have been apprehended and are being quizzed by the cops.
Police said Kamalakannan, 27, a senior executive of CMS Infotech, was entrusted with the job of collecting money from various business establishments, which is then remitted to their respective bank accounts through the company.
On Monday, Kamalakannan was on his rounds, collecting money from about 12 points including Nolambur, JJ Nagar, and Anna Nagar.
At 1.30 pm, after collecting cash from KFC in Anna Nagar, he entered Fifth Street in H Block, Anna Nagar West on his motor cycle, when a duo on another motorbike mowed him down.
What Kamalakannan initially thought was an accident took a turn for the worse when another quartet reached the spot in two motorcycles and slashed him with swords on both his shoulders. He attempted in vain to protect the cash bag when he received the next blow to his left knee. The gang snatched the cash bag and scooted from the spot.
Sources said the company usually sent an armoured truck to pick up the cash if the collection exceeded `5 lakh, but that was somehow given the slip on Monday. In fact, Kamalakannan was alone when he was attacked.
The injured Kamalakannan, who was first rushed to a nearby hospital and then shifted to another hospital, had to undergo surgery.
His superiors, who were at the hospital, were tight-lipped about the incident.
Speaking to Express, City Police Commissioner S George said Anna Nagar DC Prem Anand Sinha was on the job. “With definite clues, we have identified all six suspects,” he said, adding that “the case will be cracked in a day or two”.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15