Teen on scooter rams speed bump, dies
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
22nd December 2012 08:17 AM
A 16-year-old girl on Friday succumbed to injuries she sustained in a two-wheeler accident that occurred on Thursday night at Anna Nagar.
She had suffered head injuries when her scooter rammed a speed breaker at 7.15 pm on Thursday.
Police said Monica, a Class XI student, was riding her new scooter with Mazarat Shibani (12), a Class VIII student, as pillion, when the accident took place. Monica failed to notice the speed breaker on 29th Street in H Block of Ponni Colony Main Road as she was travelling at high speed, police said. The street was also poorly-lit, they added. When the vehicle rammed the speed breaker, Monica lost control and both the riders were thrown off the vehicle in the impact. The scooter overturned injuring both of them. Monica sustained injuries on her head and hip and started bleeding from the nose and ears. Shibani also suffered head injuries. Both were rushed to a nearby hospital, which administered first aid to them and referred them to another hospital in the same area, where doctors declared Monica ‘brought dead’. Monica’s body was sent to the Government Rajiv Gandhi General Hospital and after autopsy, it was handed over to her parents.
Shibani, who was shifted to another hospital, was being treated for her injuries.
Police sources said despite not having a valid driving licence Monica had taken the vehicle for a ride. Tirumangalam Traffic Inspector R Then Tamilvanan registered a case and a probe is on.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Western Ghats: Gadgil’s missive to Kasturirangan opens fresh debate
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Key relationships
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Kept on Congress fringe, says Mani Shankar Aiyer
- Hyderabad beat Kolkata, make semis; put RCB out