baby lifter arrested
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
13th December 2012 08:52 AM
An alert autorickshaw driver helped the police nab a woman who stole a baby from its mother at the Kasturba Gandhi Hospital on Wednesday.
Police said that Suraya Sultana (32) of Perambur was desperate for a baby since she had lied to her husband Rafiq, employed in Dubai, that she was pregnant when he last visited her 10 months ago. Her desperate search led her to the Kasturba Gandhi Hospital where Yasmin Begum, also of Perambur, had brought her baby for a consultation as it was under-weight. She was accompanied by her elder sister, Aktarine Begum.
Aktarine asked her sister to wait till she came back with the form to obtain maternity assistance. Sultana, who was observing them, approached Yasmin and said that Aktarine was looking for her. She offered to baby-sit till she came back. Believing her words, Yasmin gave the baby to Sultana and walked into the maternity section. When the sisters met inside, Aktarine was shocked to see her. Sensing trouble, they rushed out and found that the woman was missing with the baby.
Their enquiries at the auto stand outside revealed that the woman had hired an auto. The other drivers there soon called up Senthil Nathan, who was ferrying the accused. Nathan, who was near the Chintadripet Police Station, drove the woman straight into the station. She was arrested and the baby reunited with the mother.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes