Director claims Kalanidhi owes him 6.75 crore
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
04th December 2012 08:35 AM
Director Shakthi Chidambaram on Monday lodged a complaint with City Police Commissioner S George against Kalanidhi Maran, Chairman and Managing Director of Sun TV Network Limited, for non-payment of dues amounting to Rs 6.75 crore and allegedly issuing threats.
Chidambaram alleged that Maran did not honour a written agreement for payments for the satellite broadcast rights for the Vijay-starrer Kavalan, which Sun TV had purchased from him for Rs 5.5 crore and had returned only Rs 2.75 crore so far. Similarly, the director had paid Rs 4 crore to Maran for getting the screening rights of Rajnikant-starrer Enthiran in Chengalpattu area.
The Sun TV group allegedly sold the overall rights to another distributor and did not return Chidambaram’s money. Chidambaram alleged that the Sun Group managers, Sembian, R M Ramesh, and Kannan, acting on Maran’s instructions, assaulted him and threatened him for seeking the pending payments.
“They purchase a movie for screening on Sun TV for a meagre sum. But then they telecast it in all their group channels causing further losses to the already struggling industry. I sold Englishkaran movie for telecast in Sun TV for a meagre Rs 18 lakh. But, they telecast it on Adhitya, KTV and in Gemini TV too,” the director rued.
Chidambaram met Joint Commissioner of Police(CCB) SN Seshasai and sought action against Maran and his managers.
Meanwhile, Sree Gopikrishna Paradise owner C Nareshbabu submitted a complaint with the City Police Commissioner claiming that Sun TV group was delaying payment of Rs 20 lakh out of Rs 25 lakh paid as advance to the group for the screening of Vettaikaran. Nareshbabu alleged that only Rs 5 lakh had been paid and that he was receiving threats for demanding the money.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15