where heart alone matters
By S Raja
26th November 2012 08:35 AM
The politics over inter-caste marriage is ridiculous. And the politicians who use this tool to manipulate their support base are phony.
So feel doctor couple, Aravinda Raj and Maduram, who entered wedlock 41 years ago, despite stiff and constant opposition from their respective families.
Aravinda Raj, a Nadar, and Madhuram, a Brahmin, fell in love while working at a primary health center in Senthamaram village in Tirunelveli district. She stayed with her grandparents, who vacated the house the moment they came to know of her love. Even his family did not agree for their marriage. Anyway, the doctors went in for a registered marriage with the help of some friends. Relatives boycotted them initially, though Aravinda Raj’s family accepted them into their fold during his brother’s marriage three months later.
Surprisingly, the people of Senthamaram arranged a reception in honour of the couple. After serving in various government hospitals in the state, the couple set up their own clinic in Ramanathapuram in 1984. Their daughter, Kanaga Priya, is now a gynecologist, married to a doctor. But when Kanaga Priya was born, Maduram received no assistance from the family.Maduram says society should honour love marriages. Aravinda Raj says that inter-caste marriages bring no harm to society. “It is merely a union of true hearts.”
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers