Multiple options for that big vacation next year
By S Suresh
21st November 2012 10:31 AM
Having worked really hard right through the year, it’s time you plan your vacation well to avoid the dirty looks you would otherwise get at home. We are not talking about the year-end holidays because you ought to have planned them well in advance. If you haven’t, you would have validated the findings of the latest survey on vacation deprivation. The survey commissioned by holiday service provider Expedia found that India was the fourth most vacation-deprived country in the world. More of that in the accompanying graphic.
With the Tamil Nadu government putting out its list of approved holidays for the next calendar year, here are some suggestions for making a quick getaway to a destination of choice. The options multiply if you have a five-day week at work and the weekends off.
For starters, you have a Pongal gift. The festival, as usual is on January 14, which is Monday. And Thiruvalluvar Day and Uzhavar Thirunal fall on the next two days. In other words, great opportunity for a five-day vacation if you were to take the previous weekend into account - from Saturday to Wednesday (January 12-16).
For the next option for a short trip, look no further than at the last week of the same month, as Meelad-un-Nabi falls on January 25 and the next day is Republic Day. Three days leave on the platter, which includes Sunday.
In April, you can plan a four-day vacation starting Thursday the 11th if you were to take a day’s leave on Friday, assuming Saturday is off. Dr Ambedkar’s birthday falls on Sunday, which actually is a missed option for a paid holiday and you can only blame the calendar for it.
And finally, another five-day vacation option would knock your door in October as Vijaya Dasami falls on Monday the 14th with Bakrid on Wednesday the 16th – that is if you were to take a day’s leave on Tuesday. Remember the count starts from Saturday and Sunday is Ayutha Pooja day. Besides, there are other options for three-day getaways if you look at a few Fridays that are on the government’s leave list. So, happy holidaying.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Key relationships
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Bangalore crush Chennai in 8-over match, keep semi hopes alive