Integrated security system at Egmore, Central stations
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
19th November 2012 10:01 AM
Southern Railway General Manager A K Mittal inaugurated an Integrated Security System (ISS) for Central and Egmore railway stations here recently.
Dr G Narayanan, Additional General Manager, S Manohar, Chief Signal & Telecommunication Engineer, V K Dhaka, Chief Security Commissioner and senior officials of Southern Railway were present on the occasion.
The new system would enable security personnel to view every nook and cranny of the station premises from the control room to ensure the safety of passengers and their belongings, a press release here said. Stating that the existing CCTV network of suburban platforms at the Moore Market Complex (MMC) has also been integrated to this system, the release said, the Central and MMC would have 78 cameras and the Egmore railway station 28 cameras.
Providing security to passengers has become a challenge for the Railways as there are increasing instances of anti-social activities, which pose a threat to passenger security and safety.
To address this concern, the Indian Railways has introduced several measures with the available technologies. Providing a state-of-the-art surveillance system on the station premises is one such effort to enhance the passenger security and safety, the release added.
In Southern Railway, ISS has been planned with the CCTV Surveillance System for 14 major stations including Madurai, Coimbatore and Tiruchchirappalli Junctions at a cost of `41.60 crore. The ISS comprises CCTV Surveillance system with IP-based cameras, Under Vehicle Scanning System (UVSS) for entry and exit, personal and X-ray baggage screening and disposal systems for bomb detection squad.
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days
- Sushma upset at Modi role, walks out of BJP meet
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- 56,700 Indians face deportation from Saudi Arabia: Khurshid
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling