Lankans held, gold seized
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
17th November 2012 10:45 AM
Customs officials were on their feet over the past 24-hours as they arrested seven persons, including three Sri Lankan nationals, and seized nearly 4 kg of gold being smuggled into the country.
In one of the biggest seizures in the city, officials seized gold and nabbed Karannity Krishnaveni, Ganesh Rajah, Swarna Latha and an Indian Abdul Wahab Akbar Sabia Banu on Friday, based on intelligence inputs. The previous night, officials recovered 950 grams of gold from Sarna Lakshmi, Mohamed Rizk and Indirani, which they had concealed in the hem of saris and in the inner lining of a suitcase.
Student Immolates Self
A Class X student succumbed to burns that she sustained during a self-immolation bid at the Kilpauk Medical College (KMC) Hospital here on Friday.
Police said Karpagam (15), a student of Venugopal Vidyalaya Higher Secondary School in Mandaiveli, was reportedly upset over her academic performance this year ahead of the board exams. Her parents Nagaraj and Lakshmi, both eking out a living ironing clothes in Visalakshi Thottam, too were unhappy and reportedly raked up the issue with her.
Around 4 pm, Karpagam doused herself with kerosene and set herself ablaze. She succumbed to burns at 2.40 pm. The girl gave a dying declaration, which was recorded by a magistrate, that she had attempted suicide due to her poor performance at school.
- South block watch
- Greasepaint fails to hide K-town tension
- T M Soundararajan: An Alchemist who mixed melodies with emotions
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'