Fake journos assault doctor, five arrested
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
12th November 2012 09:46 AM
Five men who posed as journalists and reportedly threatened and assaulted a doctor to extort money at Sathangadu, near Tiruvottiyur, were arrested on Sunday.
Police said Venkateswaralu, a doctor from Sathyamurthy Nagar, Tiruvottiyur, ran a clinic in his area. On Saturday night, the five suspects, later identified as Kasim, Ravi Kumar, Mahesh, Senthil and Ravi, allegedly arrived at his clinic in a car. Claiming that they were journalists, police said the men reportedly threatened the doctor alleging he was a quack and that they would file a complaint against him with the health department.
Police sources said the men continued threatening the doctor and demanded Rs 5,000 even after he furnished his academic certificates. They also demanded Rs 5,000 every month. The sources added that one of the men reportedly assaulted the doctor in an altercation. Following the incident, Venkateswaralu complained to Sathangadu police, who later caught the five men.
Police sources said apart from Kasim, who worked in a small magazine, the rest of them were not journalists.
Police sources added that Kasim would regularly drop off a copy of his magazine to the local police station. The doctor treated the poor for free. Following a complaint by Venkateswaralu, police registered a case under various sections of the penal code against the five suspects.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Shun hatred to live with peace