Woman, kids attempt suicide at CoP office
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
09th November 2012 08:47 AM
Policemen on duty and people who had come to redress their grievances at the City Police Commissioner’s office on Thursday were in for a rude shock as a 26-year-old mother of two doused herself and her children with kerosene and threatened suicide. She was reportedly aggrieved that the police had taken no action to rescue her from torture in the hands of her in-laws, despite her having lodged a complaint.
The woman, identified as R Uma Parameswari (26) of Bajanai Koil Street, Kalyanapuram, Ambattur, walked past the security into the Commissioner’s office with her two little kids, Shyam (5) and Lavanya (8).
The woman then doused herself and her two children with kerosene that she smuggled inside in a can. Policemen on guard at the Commissioner’s office immediately overpowered her and rescued the two children, who were wearing school uniforms.
The personnel led them away from the scene.
Police sources said that upon inquiry, they learnt that the woman was the wife of a carpenter called Ramesh (28). She told the police that she had lodged a complaint with the Ambattur All Women Police in alleging harassment from in-laws and said that no action was taken.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling