Differently-abled on the sports track
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
29th October 2012 08:58 AM
Chennai’s differently-abled had their very own sports meet here on Saturday.
More than 450 participants from 15 different homes for the differently abled participated in track and field and other fun sporting events in the ‘Chennai Special Olympics 2012’ organised by Plus Dream Makers, an event management organisation in collaboration with the Steps Foundation and the Sasha Foundation.
The event was inaugurated by Sarath Babu Elumalai, CEO of Food King, V Devarajan, World Cup Boxing medalist and Arjuna awardee, Meena Mahalingam, coach of the Indian volleyball team and R Sathya Moorthy, a wheelchair tennis player and social activist. Meena Mahalingam declared the sports meet open by releasing colourful balloons.
The participants, aged between 5 and 18, took part in events that were planned keeping their disabilities in mind. “Track and field events were kept short, like 50 metres or 70 metres, so that the children didn’t have to strain themselves. Those who were wheelchair-bound could also participate in the track and field events with a helper,” said George Vijay, founder of Plus Dream Makers.
Other events like short out and softball throw were a great hit among the kids. “This is the first time we are conducting an event like this. Most children’s homes cannot concentrate on sports and outdoor activities as they have other issues on their hands. We wanted to provide these children pure entertainment and some sporting fun,” said George.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Shun hatred to live with peace
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army